Da Camera Young Artists
The Da Camera Young Artist Program is designed for emerging professionals who have completed at least a bachelor’s degree in Music, are no longer enrolled in course work as part of a degree program and are interested in opportunities to connect with the Houston community and learn skills that will help nurture and develop their careers.
The Young Artist Ensemble consists of flute, clarinet, two violins, viola*, cello*, piano, percussion* and one additional position (any instrument or voice).
*The viola, cello and percussion positions have already been filled for the 2014/2015 season. Violists, cellists and percussionists should consider a fall audition to be considered for involvement in performances and programs.
Candidates for the Da Camera Young Artist Program:
- are interested in performing solo and chamber music repertoire throughout the Houston community
- are interested in working with teachers in public schools to develop lessons that utilize music to enrich the study of core-foundation subjects
- have completed at least a bachelor’s degree in music and are no longer actively enrolled in course work as part of a degree program*
- are able to commit to visits in Houston schools, to perform in Da Camera Community Initiatives, and to participate in bi-monthly workshops**
* Click here for more information if you are interested in the Young Artist Program, but will be enrolled in course work as part of a degree program during the 2014/2015 season.
**The Young Artist schedule is designed to allow professional musicians the flexibility to maintain a private teaching studio and pursue auditions for university teaching jobs and orchestral positions.
Involvement in the Young Artist Program will include:
Participation in Da Camera Music Encounters:
- Classroom visits in collaboration with core-foundation teachers in Houston schools
- Work with students with students with neurological differences at The Monarch School
- Multiple solo and chamber music performance opportunities with fellow Young Artists in Da Camera Community Initiative Concerts:
- A Little Day Music concerts at the Wortham Theater
- Stop, Look, and Listen! concerts at The Menil Collection
- Lunch-time concerts at Houston Methodist Hospital system
- Monthly concerts at the night club Avant Garden, with the opportunity to curate one of the concerts
- Additional performances at venues such as Museum of Fine Arts, Houston; Galveston Artist Residency; and Discovery Green
- Career-development workshops, which generally occur on selected Saturday mornings
- Participation in master classes with guest artists
BenefitsPer-service honoraria resulting in 2014-15 season stipend of $2,000 - $5,000.
Recent career development workshops include:
- Fusing Personal Passion with Creative Programming
- Sharing Music with Young People in the Schools
- Utilizing Marketing and Personal Media
- The Fundamentals of Fundraising and Grant Writing
- Tax Preparation for Musicians
- The Art of Public Speaking
- Success with Studio and Personal Recording
- Entrepreneurship in the Music Industry
- Feldenkrais: Awareness through Movement and Functional Integration
Access to all Da Camera subscription concerts
General Information Young Artist Track Composer Track Fall Audition Information